It’s no secret that many people are opting for the DIY YouTube videos when it comes to remodeling or home repair. Let’s be frank, y’all: There are some electrical projects that require a professional expertise. So, when to hire an electrician? If you are experiencing any of the following electrical concerns, then it’s time to call in the Speck Family Electric professionals.

Fuses are Tore Up

Does the circuit breaker in your home like to trip the lights fantastic? Meaning, does your circuit breaker and fuses blow on a regular basis? Then there could be an issue with faulty equipment, faulty wiring, or simply you’re overloading the system.

For instance, blown fuses can be a result from anything between an overloaded circuit to damaged wiring. And bless your heart if the wrong fuse was installed! So, instead of just replacing the fuses yourself, call the professionals of Speck Family Electric to do a thorough inspection of your electrical panel.

We recommend you hire an electrician for any of these home electrical wiring concerns:

  • Keep track of breaker trips.
  • Look and listen for flickering, buzzing, or dimming lights.
  • Look out for frayed or chewed wiring.
  • Search for discoloration, scorching, and smoke.
  • Feel for warm or vibrating wall outlets
  • Smell for burning and odd odors.

Outlets are Hotter Than Hot Chicken

Have noticed if your outlets feel warm to the touch? Hot outlets are a major sign that your circuits are overcharged. As a result, you may start a fire, or even get an electrical shock if you’re not careful.

You see, any faulty wiring or connected parts will jeopardize the system and create a power surge, which in the end, trips the circuit. This could be a result of faulty wiring or improper installation of wiring.

In the end, this can most likely be corrected with a change of wiring. Before giving Speck Family Electric a call, be sure to unplug any devices from the outlet, and you may want to consider turning off the power for that area of the home. If you ever smell smoke, or your wires looked scorched, then call an emergency electrician immediately.

House is Older Than Methuselah

If your house is older than Methuselah, then congratulations, you now have the oldest house in the creation of man! Seriously, though, if your home is older than 20 years, then it’s time to keep your eyes peeled for wiring problems.

While older homes can be just as charming as Southerners, it’s no secret that they are prone to electrical problems. The reason? If your house is over 20 years old, you’re probably operating on an outdated system. All the new, state-of-the-art appliances might be taking a toll on your old fuse box and 100-amp service.

Another concern with older homes is that you may not have grounded wiring. If you still have two-pronged plugs, and/or you’re using extension cords, you could be pressing your luck with an electrical hazard.

The solution is to upgrade your system to a 200-amp service. Simply put: The more devices and appliances you use, the more power you need. By upgrading your system, you can prevent future blown fuses and other potentially serious electrical problems.

Speck Surpasses the Rest

Whether you’re remodeling, or you’re aiming to fix those pesky electrical problems that have been driving you nuts for weeks, Speck Family Electric is here to help. If you’re a handy-homeowner, then we understand that you want to take common electrical projects into your own hands. However, if you’re experiencing any of the concerns above, then it’s time to hire an electrician.

We serve homeowners in Sparta, Cattanooga, Cookeville, Crossville, Gallatin, Lebanon, McMinnville, Mount Juliet, Murfreesboro, and Smithville, Tennessee.

You’ll want to call Speck Family Electric first, as our professional electricians are real live wires (pun was definitely intended)!

Contact Speck Family Electric for your electrical concerns today!